Destroyed by fire

3 Responses to “Destroyed by fire”


  1. 1 Sheila Johnson July 27, 2012 at 9:01 pm

    Just came across a report in the Western Daily Press, July 7th 1934, with a similar photograph. Shooting Lodge on Ham owned by Lady Wills destroyed in fire. The Lodge was occupied by the head keeper Arthur Kingman and his wife. Mr & Mrs Kingman managed to escape with babe in her arms, the house was soon a roaring furnace. The fire was attended by the fire brigade from Coombe Lodge estate and Banwell brigade, but as the water supply was inadequate to reach the roof, the house was burnt out.
    It was a ten bedroom house and tea rooms built by Lord Winterstoke who entertained many large parties there. It was thought the fire started by spontaneous combustion of the roof of the tea room caused by the prevailing heat.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Photo categories

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies when you post comments.
If you don't want this to happen please use the contact form and mention the photo title with your comment.
If you'd like to know more please see our privacy policy and information on how cookies are used.

Things to think about

• Is the image the right way round?
• Is it duplicated in the archive?
• When was the image taken?
• Why was it taken?
• Who took it?
• Where is it?
• What does it show?
• Can you identify the people in it?
• Any observations about the image
• Anecdotes inspired by the images

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 79 other followers

All the Blagdon websites
A www.blagdon.org project